1. Lewandowski was the protagonist of Bayern Munich last season, which became the German champion, won the Cup of the country and took the Champions League (UEFA Champions Cup) for the sixth time in history.
2. Robert has achieved a historic achievement in the 2019/2020 season. He became the first footballer in the world who not only won the treble with his team, but also became the top scorer in each of the tournaments.
In the German Bundesliga, the Pole scored 34 goals, scored 6 times in the German Cup and scored 15 goals in the Champions League, this is the best performance among all scorers.
3. Lewandowski, becoming the top scorer of the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League, violated the goalscoring hegemony of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. None of them became the top scorer of the tournament for the first time since the 2006/2007 season.
Recall that in the seasons 2007/2008, 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018, the top scorer of the Champions League became Ronaldo, who defended the colors of Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. In the draws of 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012, 2018/2019, Messi took the scoring title. In the 2014/2015 season, Messi and Ronaldo shared the first line in the top scorers’ roster with Neymar, while the Portuguese scored three goals from the penalty spot.
4. The Pole in the 2019/2020 Champions League was simply inimitable, especially in the playoffs. Bayern played 11 matches in the tournament, having won 11 victories in them. Lewandowski scored in each of the six group stage matches (10 goals). In the elimination matches, Robert continued to hit the opponents’ goal and added assists to this. In the 1 / 8th, quarterfinals and semi-finals, he scored 5 goals and made 6 assists. The forward “kept silent” only in the final against PSG (1: 0), but the only goal from Coman was enough for the Munich team to triumph.
5. Lewandowski entered the national team of the best players of the tournament. This once again proved the fact that in the last campaign, the Bayern striker was one of the best, and in the end he received recognition as the best.
6. Robert not in words, but not in deeds showed his best qualities as a team player, and not just as an individual strong performer. The already mentioned six assists in the Champions League playoffs are the best proof of this. And, in general, in the 2019/2020 season Lewandowski, with 55 goals in all tournaments, became the author of ten assists.
His importance for the team was best appreciated by Bayern coach Hans- Dieter Flick.
“He works hard for the team. He is important for our defense, because he provides the defense with serious support, and there is no need to talk about the threat that he poses to other people’s goals. This is a real professional who works hard. He is the best center forward in the world. ”
7. Lewandowski received almost unconditional support from everyone who took part in the poll for the title of the best player in the Champions League. The jury consisted of coaches from 80 clubs that had played in the 2019/2020 Champions League and Europa League group stages, as well as 55 sports journalists from all UEFA associations, selected by the European Sports Publishing Association (ESM).
Robert scored in the survey (for the first place in each questionnaire five points were awarded, for the second – three, for the third – one) 477 points. In the top three, he beat Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne (90 points) and Bayern team-mate Manuel Neuer (66 points).